Saturday, October 04, 2014

20 Writing Tips from Published Authors

(businessinsider.com)

I loved these writing tips from iuniverse.com.   Here's the link.   My favorite?

TIP 5:  "Always carry a notebook.  And I mean always.  The short-term memory only retains information for three minutes;  unless it is committed to paper you can lose an idea forever." - Will Self

I have done this, and it is so effective.  Ideas and observations practically leak out of you when you have a notebook to catch them.  It's amazing how many more ideas you can capture this way.  Once I took my little notebook to the mall while I shopped with my teen. I watched people and scribbled away.  My daughter refused to admit that I was her mother, but I got so many interesting ideas for characters!  Caution:  Don't follow people around when you do this...that's just creepy.  Sit on a bench outside where your kids are shopping and write about the people who walk by.  It's a little more subtle and not as likely to get you arrested.  :-)

No comments: