Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Suggested Reading: "Counting the Cost" by Liz Adair

I love the cover of Liz Adair's newest novel "Counting the Cost." It's so nostalgic. This book is wonderful because of its deep characterization. In "Counting the Cost" Liz has accomplished some of the best characterization I have ever read in LDS fiction. The writing and depth made me feel like I was reading a classic novel. Liz Adair uses some of her family history from ancestors who lived in New Mexico during the settling of the area to write a riveting romance. She told me at a book signing that this is her secret. When you use characters from family history you really come to know them deeply. She is so good at making you feel the hardship of the times. Liz's powers of description are on par with the best writers. There are some unsettling scenes that are necessary to the book and to establish the motives of the characters, but this only increased the depth and complexity of the situations. I loved that the book is so 'real' and that things are complicated just like in real life. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves historical romance with complex situations and deep characters. Great job Liz!! You are now one of my favorite writers! You can buy Liz's book at Inglestone Publishing.

3 comments:

Liz Adair said...

Thanks, Kersten, for your kind words. It was great to meet and talk to you, and to listen to you read your essays. I laughed out loud even though I had already read the story.

SkinnyJeanGirl said...

I will have to check this out. It sound like a wonderful book I would enjoy reading. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cecily Markland said...

Nice review Kersten! I can't wait to read your book too.